10 Reasons Why You Should Buy Products Made in America
Our unemployment rate rose higher in three months of COVID-19 than it did in two years of the Great Recession. This rise is on top of the issues we already have faced for decades from companies moving their operations overseas. Buying products Made in America promotes neighbors supporting neighbors by providing jobs. Buying locally reinforces the strength of our communities and how we connect with each other. It's the only way to build our national economy. Here are the top 10 reasons why you need to take action and keep your dollars in America.
1. Provides Jobs for our Neighbors and Future Generations
Since 2000, the United States has lost a staggering 32% of its manufacturing jobs. For every $1 billion in goods imported, the economy loses 9,000 jobs. When we support American manufacturing, more jobs are created and our money is put back into our American economy. The EPI estimates that every US manufacturing job supports an additional 1.4 jobs in other parts of the economy. Where we spend our money is critical to keeping our own jobs and keeping our neighbors working.
2. Promotes American Pride and Independence
We are a nation of pride and independence. Relying on another country’s exports damages our sense of national pride. Our country was a powerhouse in the global market. We are now placing more importance on our trade agreements with other nations to receive their products at a lower cost. We need to stop our reliance on products exported from other countries and restore our independence by buying products made locally.
3. Delivers Higher Quality of Goods
When you buy American-made products you are ensured of quality - excellent craftsmanship, and a superior product. Foreign products provide no guarantee of quality. In fact 60% of the recalls by the Consumer Product Safety Commission are from Chinese imports. The initial cost of a US-made product may be higher than one that is imported, but in reality the cost is lower as the Made in USA quality will last far longer than a foreign made alternative.
4. Lowers our Carbon Footprint
Buying products closer to home reduces transportation costs and the quality of our air. Shipping products all the way across the ocean burns fossil fuel spewing out greenhouse gasses with every mile the goods travel. Purchasing American-made products ensures we are doing our part to contribute to a cleaner environment for future generations.
5. Foreign Labor Standards Can Not Be Enforced by our Government
When products are made in the US our government can ensure that minimum wages are enforced and the United States Labor Laws are upheld. Sweatshops are common in third-world countries and buying foreign products supports labor abuse. As citizens of the world we need to stop abusive treatment of others. Buying American-made products promotes human rights.
6. Dependency of China for our National Defense
China is the number one supplier of components that are critical to the operation of US defense systems. As citizens we need to demand that our government shift its purchases back to the United States. Losing the control of our defenses to foreign countries is dangerous.
7. Guaranteed Safer and Fair Working Conditions
Government acts such as OSHA oversee safe working conditions in the manufacturing industry. There are controls and regulations in place to minimize accidents, while granting rights to employees. Foreign countries may not have the same level of health and safety, and imports may be contributing to unsafe conditions for thousands of workers.
8. Helps to Reduce the Deficit
The USA has a $49.4 billion dollar trade deficit as of mid-2020. This situation needs to be addressed and buying American-Made products will boost the American economy and reduce the deficit.
9. Losing American Manufacturing Destroys Cities
Look at what happened to Flint, MI and so many other cities and communities. Entire towns are wiped out when a major manufacturer moves operations overseas. In many cases the city will never fully recover.
10. Outsourced Manufacturing Plants Rarely Return to the US
Once a product has been outsourced to a foreign country it may never be manufactured in the US again. That's a huge loss of income to our economy. The only way to change this trend is to buy Made in America products.
Why Buy American Made Products from OHSAY USA
1. We have carefully curated products Made in USA since 2012. Our relationship with our craftspeople, inventors and manufacturers is solid. We know each other's stories and we use their products in our homes too.
2. We have created jobs. Our store has provided numerous jobs for the small businesses we work with. We went from working out of our garage to employing many people to run OHSAY USA.
3. We are a Veteran-owned company certified by the Veteran-Owned Small Business Association - 8 years service as a SigInt Analyst/Russian Linguist in the US Army Reserves.
4. We are a women-owned company which ensures you will get first-rate customer service.
5. We support our community. In 2020, so far we have provided 32,000 meals through the Central Texas Food Bank. We also set up a free pantry in our own neighborhood for anyone in need.
6. We reduce, reuse and recycle. As an example, our neighborhood provides the packing material from their packages and we reuse it to safely ship your orders.
7. Everyone is welcome. We promote justice for all.